Maybe

The name of the post pretty much sums up it's content.

Just about a month ago I was living the same life I had been for most all of my independent life; now I'm sitting in a shitty hostel, writing on my computer, keeping all the lights on, and checking out the windows constantly for birds.

How did I even get here?

I keep running what happened over and over in my head and none of it makes sense. Not just the guy with birds in his head, or the shadow thing; but my arms too. Bandages and some neosporin wouldn't be enough to heal me this fast, there was muscle torn out of me, and now there isn't even a sign that anything happened. It should have taken years, at least, to get that amount of healing, and I was only out for maybe a few days.

And there were so many birds, more birds than sky. I don't even think there are that many birds in this whole town, maybe not in the whole state, but there were enough to block out the whole damn sky.

Maybe it's not so crazy; I mean maybe this sort of thing just happens. Maybe.

So I find this "memory man" and he'll give me the answers, right? He'll tell me how I'm supposed to get back to normality and give back whatever it is I took from… whatever. I'm not clear on the details, so if anybody else feels confused, just know I'm in the same camp as you.

I suppose that the good news is that the items I managed to save are ok; they didn't get damaged from the fall. And the sky's clear tonight; no birds and just stars. There mustn't be as many lights around here because they're so clear.

Seeing them all reminds me of that time by the lake. Maybe none of this is so strange; how much do we really know about how everything works? Maybe we missed some bit of information about how the universe operates, and this stuff is just what happens. Maybe it's just something else that we don't know yet, like the bottom of the sea or the end of space.

God, there are so many stars.

~Ji

No comments:

Post a Comment